Sunday, August 15, 2010

Skin! How to beat the blemishes.

    I was standing in front of the mirror washing my face last night thinking about how different my skin is now that I am nearing the end of my 20's and heading into my 30's. Skin is funny. Its stretchy, wrinkley, smooth, soft, freckled, and comes in all different shades of tan. The things that we do to it starting at a relatively young age can determine its future. Skin is after all the largest organ of the human body.
   I started playing with make up when I was either eleven or twelve years old and eating all the wrong things (like pizza and chocolate), little did I know what I was doing to my skin. I think I had my first zit when I was twelve. I didn't have anyone to teach me at the time that I needed to take care of my skin and then you need to wash the make up off every time you put it on. I just followed in my sister's footsteps putting on mascara and eventually eye liner and smearing shadow over my lids and trotted off to the school bus and didn't think anything of it. I would come home and take naps after school (don't tell my mom! lol) and then at night I would never wash my face after I brushed my teeth. Who cares? It will come off eventually.
  Cutting to the chase, what is the best way to beat blemishes, wrinkles, stretch marks, and bring back elasticity to the skin? We use scrubs, masks, cleansers, and lotions. What are some of the best things to use on your skin and how often should we be using them? When should we start using them? I think when your at the age where your skin dries out after a shower is when you should start using moisturizer on your body. In my opinion, some of the best products to use that cause the least damage to your skin are products with all natural ingredients, but not all natural lotions and potions are made equal. Some smell great and some not so great. Like who likes the scent of tea tree oil? Not me! But tea tree oil has some great qualities! It repells insects so it's great for camping and hiking, it keeps away lice as my daughter has experienced recently, and it is also a moisturizer.
   So here's something else to consider. Vitamins are great for your skin as well but like everything else, in moderation of course. Vitamin A helps eliminate acne, stretch marks, eczema, and helps you absorb Vitamin D. Along with those great functions, it aids as an antioxidant to inactivate free radicals, which has to do with aging. Vitamin E will help with elimination of scars from lacerations. Also works wonders on your cuticals and dry elbows.  B vitamins are important for keeping your skin hydrated (although water works just as well) and C vitamin is great for a natural SPF when applied to your skin topically. I'm not telling you to go out and by a bunch of vitamins. You don't really have to although I would try and get my hands on some Cell Block C, which is a topical form of Vitamin C. You can get the proper amounts from a multivitamin or eating lots of green veggies and lots of fruit. Fruit is a great alternative to vitamins since they are packed with AlphaHydroxiAcids and BetaHydroxiAcids, such as Lemons. Lemons are great for your skin as well. The decrease redness when a small amount of juice is rubbed on the face and will moisturize your elbows as well. See you thought you had to go out and by a bunch of spendy products didn't you!?! Everything you really need to have great clear skin is in your fridge!
   Okay well about the Vitamin D, here is the IMPORTANT PART ! I know everyone has to have a great tan especially around spring time. Personally I could care less I am Asian and I always tan and if I don't use and SPF I burn.  But for those of you who absolutely must have a tan please consider this: recent studies have linked TANNING BEDS WITH SKIN CANCER. I know it doesn't take a genius to understand that if you expose yourself to UV rays for a long enough time you will develope skin cancer, but why do this to yourself on purpose!!!??? I do, however, understand that if you live in say, Fairbanks Alaska that you would need a tanning bed to literally keep you from committing suicide. That is very important, there is no happiness when the sun stops shining for a month at a time. Or even people who live in the Seattle area, I get it. Please limit yourself to no more than twenty minutes a day to maintain mood control. It takes twenty minutes of sunshine to get your daily dose of Vitamin D. Other ways to get Vitamin D are eating broccoli and drinking Vitamin D milk. If you absolutely have to have a super dark tan, invest in the spray-on salons and even the DIY spray tans and start earlier in the spring so that by the time fall rolls around you have a nice and even dark tan.  You can even keep it up in the winter time! Well enough preaching about cancer, lets move on.
   I have now three words for you about facial skin care. Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate! If you want clean pores then you have to find a way to keep them oil and dirt free. That doesn't mean stop wearing make up and moisturizer. But each morning I use a scrub and every night I use a microderm abrasion brush after taking my make up off. Yes it is a pain in the ass to do but its so worth it especially if you have chronic acne. Secondly, try to stick to a set by one brand. For example, I use my BeautiControl facial scrub every am and every pm I use BeautiControl's make up remover, skin cleanser, and then their moisture mist. Keeping to the same brands cuts down on allergic and chemical reactions. How do you know the difference between a chemical and allergic reaction? An allergic reaction almost always results with a rash. If I brush my teeth with Colgate toothpaste, I end up itchy all over my face. A chemical reaction feels like a burning sensation. It hurts more than it itches. *If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue use of those products right away.
   Microderm abrasion is a great way to exfoliate the dead skin cells on the surface of your face. Who likes crusty dry skin under their foundation? Ewww! Get rid of those dead cells! Don't try to hide them with more moisturizer and foundation. This will only increase your acne. Once you've exfoliated well, remember to apply a moisturizer that suites your needs. If you have super dry skin, apply a cream. If you have normal skin apply a lotion. If you live in high humidity, use a misting spray. (I will post recipes and websites later).
  So gals what did we learn? Take your vitamins in what ever form you prefer, go easy on the tanning beds, exfoliate, moisturize, and keep your skin clean all of the time. Also, it is really beneficial to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Not just to keep your skin hydrated but to flush out the toxins in your body as well and keep yourself healthy. Remember: You are beautiful and your skin will love you for this!
<3 Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment