Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Beauty On The Outside As Well As In?


   Just as I was about to go to bed I was parusing the net for a new desktop image for fall. Then I went off on a tangent and ended looking up images that led me to her. The first thing I thought was "wow shes gorgrous" then I thought "something doesn't look right with her". So I clicked on the image and it led me to the link posted above. I noticed how skinny she was. I'm sorry, I meant starving! I was wondering should I email her to find out her address? Should I mail her some food? Send her a McDonald's giftcard? Good Godess! She probably hasn't eaten in years!

   Enough of my ranting and raving and getting to the point: How can modeling agencies and magazine companies let this go so far? How could a job be so much more important the sustenance? Then that got me thinking well how could looks be so important? This is the double edged sword. We go out in public everyday with make up on, hair done up, dressed in our best (most of the time), but does that define us? Why do we let our happiness lie in the straps of a Coach bag or the fibers of a Juicy Couture sweater? (We'll leave the money issue out of this.) I'm sure my husband would really like to know.
   I watched Confessions of A Shop-a-holic last night with my daughter, Joey, and I have to agree. There is something about sliding that card through that little black machine, that little scratchy sound of a receipt printing off, the handing over the bag of precious goodies you just bought, that just makes you feel sooooooo damn good. I know. I inherited it from my mother. =) Something about the smells of the store when you just walk in, the perfumes, the shoes! The colors of the fabrics, hell I will get happy at the thought of going to Target. But do the things we buy make us who we are?
   If you wore your sweats and a hoodie every day would that mean that your a sloppy hobo? Would your friends think so? I know mine wouldn't. Who doesn't love a comfy pair of sweats? If you went to the store with out makeup on, would anyone notice? Probably not, especially if your in Walmart. lolz.
   I had an experience in Sephora yesterday that I will probably never forget. Now I am not one to judge a book by it's cover so it is really a pet peeve of mine when someone does it to me. I love shopping to the point of having some serious marriage problems over it but I try not to let my clothing style affect my personality. Anyway, back to Sephora...Joey and I had just ridden oh maybe 6 miles to get to a Kinko's to get some financial aid things faxed and decided to stop into Sephora thinking "Yay! I found an Ulta equivalent!" So I go in with Joey, she's digging the make up and I stroll in there with my biking gear on, light makeup, helmets attached to me on both sides and I am looking at the Urban Decay section right infront. These girls walk around me, they don't look at me, they don't talk to me or even offer me a basket. Usually I have a very pleasurable experience in Ulta. I get treated like princess with 'may I help you's' and 'can I interest you's' left and right. Today? In Sephora? Nothing. Not even a 'hello'. This is really disappointing and actually hurt a little deep down that I wasn't even addressed. There were other mother's in the store with there children, getting there lip glosses and what nots. So was it really my clothes?Do I deserve to get ignored since I am wearing my work out gear and have helmets dangeling from me? Well needless to say I will never go back in that store again. Not when I have my Ulta card! I almost wanted to talk to the manager about it, but what would she say, 'Um, I'm sorry, how can I help you?' I did end up getting a few shirts on my way back home but these people are definately out a prefered customer. There loss.
   So I believe that beauty on the inside needs to be expressed on the outside every once in a while. I think its good for the soul to have a naked face and a messy ponytail, with a good cozy pair of sweats. Go a head and show off the real you the next time your at the grocery store or gas station or Mcdonald's. But I would get all dressed up if you plan on stopping by Sephora! lolz
~Amy



2 comments:

  1. You have a lovely blog. Great blog post.

    Come check out my fashion blog.
    www.Chanelcraves.com

    ReplyDelete